Sunday, September 5, 2010

Invictus


19 days and counting.....
Yesterday, my 8 mile walk felt more like 21 miles. It is easier to walk with someone than to walk alone. Don't get me wrong, I love my solitary walks and runs. Being quite gives me time to reflect, to think and just be. But when you are pressing yourself, past your comfort zone, having a companion makes the trip easier. If you are pressing yourself for a cause greater than yourself, that also helps.
.
Last night we watched the movie Invictus. If you haven't seen it, I'll give you a quick summary. It is based on the true story of South Africa, Nelson Mandela and their rugby team winning the world cup. To me it was the story of how a group of men were able to do more for a cause than they ever could have ever done for themselves.
.
Of course, I realize my walking 60 miles isn't exactly as big of an event as uniting of a country but still, for me, pretty big.
.
Invictus is a poem Nelson Mandela used to motivate and inspire himself while in prison. I have copy of the poem from the book : one hundred and one famous poems. Out of this book, my grandpa, Aunt Velma and mom have memorize poems. My mom gave me my own copy years ago. If you are interested here is the poem Invictus.
.
Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.
.
In matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.
.
William Ernest Henley
( born August 23, 1849; died July 11, 1903)
.
If you get a chance, watch the movie it was a series of amazing events. Hope you enjoy,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment