Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Parsnip Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting

Why not parsnips? This little known vegetable has been around since time began... well, maybe not that long but it was one of the first cultivated veggies. There is nothing wrong with this new-old discovery so much as it has been sandwiched in the wrong category. I say it is not a savory veggie!! All the recipes I have found for parsnips are savory- that is so wrong!!

The other day, I was experimenting with this little wonder, roasting it along with carrots and broccoli. When I pulled my dish from the oven, all I smelled was a delicious sweet baked good. Where did that come from? The parsnip! The parsnip was created to be a desert!

I knew parsnip's glory was a parsnip cake. Last weekend I tried my theory. I tested it on friends... we had a get together and I made two cakes. Below are the recipe's used including the original from my sister in law- KIM's Jumping Bean Carrot Cake recipe.
(Thank you Kim! Kim! Kim!)

The original Carrot Cake Recipe: Kim's Jumping Bean Carrot Cake
2 eggs
3/4 cups oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 lb shredded carrots
Beat wet ingredients, slowly add dry
Fold in carrots and walnuts
bake 350- 1 hour ( this is a high altitude recipe)

The Parsnip Cake Experiments: ( add or substituted in the 2nd cake)
2 eggs
1/4 cup chia gel
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup turbinado sugar or (1 cup coconut sugar)
1 1/4 spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (plus 1/2 cup raisins)
1/2 lb shredded parsnips (about 2.5 cups) (shredded and then food processed for smaller size)
follow above cooking directions- At low altitude the cake was done way before 1 hour was up


Goat cheese frosting
5 oz soft goat cheese
3 oz whipped cream cheese
2 tbl soft butter
1 tsp vanilla
For sweetness you can either add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 3 tbl honey
or for a naturally sweet frosting on my second cake. I added a combo of honey, maple syrup, and rice syrup.
Whip with a mixer until nice a fluffy!!
Top cake with frosting when cake is nice a cool.

Chia seed gel: in case you missed my earlier blog

Mix 6 tbl spoons chia seed with a quart of water. Make sure you shake and stir while it is setting up. After the mixture turns to a gel- about 30 minutes, you can use this chia seed get to substitute for 1/2 your oils in baking. In the parsnip cake experiments I only used 1/3 oil substitution but I think I could have easily used 1/2 substitution.

Hope you enjoy!!!! It was good desert for a party and we also enjoyed our cake for breakfast the next morning:) If you try it, let me know what you think... unless you didn't like it in which case try another veggie:)

As always, wishing you a healthy and happy home,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment