Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What to say when you don't know what to say... you might be surprised at the answer

I've just returned from a very chilly run.  Have you ever noticed how your brain runs free and light when running or doing anything with a consistent and mindless rhythm?  Running has always been my go to place to find ideas...

That said, while running today I was once again granted a moment of inspiration.  What to say when you don't know what to say...

We all get stuck in ruts, create habits and end up doing the same thing over and over again, even if it does absolutely nothing for us.  When working with clients, I hear the same thing over and over again: I don't know!! This repeated "I don't know answer" It isn't really very helpful but sometimes there really isn't an answer.

Today, half way through my run it came to me... Mary Poppins!  Yup, Mary Poppins.  I watched Mary Poppins a couple weeks ago, hadn't seen it in years.  I smiled all the way through- all 3 hours of the movie.

In the movie, do you remember the end when the dad is about to lose his job and he remembers what Mary Poppins told him?

   When you don't know what to say... say...
      "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

And that was my idea today!  It sounds ridiculous, I know it does and yet I have a hunch it would be incredibly helpful.  When we don't know what to do, we get stressed. When we are stressed, we are not as creative, intelligent, flexible, healthy or happy.   But when we are happy we are a much brighter version of ourselves. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I could back this running theory up with solid science.

By saying supercalifragilisticexpialidocious we are creating new brain pathways and being silly.  By being silly, we relax and lighten up.  It gives us the freedom of not knowing everything.  As if anyone has all the answers anyway, somehow as adults we think we should.  But of course we don't.

The next time you don't know the answer just say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"  and see what happens.

If you need a refresher here is the link with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dike.
         Click here to transport yourself back to being a kid without all the answers

Wishing you all a light hearted, inspired and care free 2017,  From the looks of my first post, this year is going to be a very interesting!!
           Denise


  
             

  

No comments:

Post a Comment