Saturday, January 16, 2016

Creativity and clutter are roommates

     It is the wee hours of the morning and creativity has struck.  As I write, I'm still in my pjs drinking my little cup of hot lime water and snacking on a little orange.  I'm up early to get my work done today.  But before I settle in my office for some early morning -very productive- efficient- serious work, I pause and play.  My morning play usually consists of yoga, watching my cats play, morning stares and whatever else strikes my fancy.

   While stretching this am, I'm inspired to read a few pages from Elizabeth Gilbert's new book: Big Magic.  For those of you who want to join me in this conversation, I'm reading chapter 2 Enchantment.  Here Elizabeth is giving you two ways to be creative. One is the old method of suffering.  Another way is a partnership with inspiration.

   "You can receive your ideas with respect and curiosity, not with drama and dread. You can clear out whatever obstacles are preventing you from living your most creative life, with the simple understanding that whatever is bad for you is also probably bad for your work." pg 40-41

    Elizabeth gets struck with inspiration and has decided to partner up with her idea.  And this is how she starts...

    "I then did what you do when you get serious about a project or pursuit, I cleared space for it. I cleaned off my desk, literally and figuratively." pg 42-43

   And there you have it!   Are you following me??   Clearing your clutter is not about your stuff it is about living your live with creativity, with spark, with your spirit of adventure and with your full attention!!

   Clutter - whether it is the stuff that fills our homes, the to-dos on our to-do lists, the conversations that loop over and over in our minds, the time we spend doing things you don't like and that probably don't as much attention as we give it.  It is the wasted evenings, the foods that weigh our energy down.  It is the weeds that grow in our own personal gardens.

    So when you start balking at clearing your clutter and the residues in your life, pause and wonder.  What spark of creativity is wanting to grow??  Which would be more fun? Looking at an overstuffed bookcase, filled with dusty and forgotten books or opening up your space for a splash of creative play???  Hummm, I'm just saying...

Today I wish you a day of inspired creativity with fewer weeds sucking the life out of your soil and soul!

      Happy clearing,
            Denise
 

No comments:

Post a Comment