Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A mini vacation to the laundry mat

The secret to happy cleaning is to look at it like an adventure. Act as if you are a writer on assignment, your job: Explaining how to love life's alternate routes and mundane tasks.

In an older home things happen. This week it is our septic tank. Apparently, something is amiss. We are on strict water restrictions until we get back flowing once again. Water restrictions means a trip to the laundry mat. I had never thought of laundry mats as a mini vacation but I was wrong, they are

The laundry mat brings back so many memories of my grandma. After she retired from the farm she went to work for a local laundry mat. Growing up I would often go to work with her. Until today, I hadn't thought of that in years. But this morning it all came flooding back. The easy pace, the relaxed atmosphere. There is a rhythm to laundry mats, clothes tossing in dryers, water swishing in the washers. Little carts rolling around loading and unloading clothes. Doors opening, the sent of tide and fabric softener fill the room. Just a little slice of life. There was no rush, everyone is calm, patiently waiting for their machines to stop.

I had 4 loads going. It cost about $6.75 per load, 30 minutes to wash, 30-40 minutes to dry. I didn't keep track of how long it took me to fold. I brought writing and reading material, water and snacks. It was the best little mini vacation. It was incredibly relaxing. The sun coming in through the big southern windows, shining on my back, there was plenty of room for all my stuff. It as great!

Of course I totally realize, I might be the only one in North America who would consider going to the laundry mat as a mini vacation. But that's only because I'm a little quirky and love new adventures, even if it is just a trip to wash clothes, but still it was nice. As for the adventure in repairing a malfunctioning septic system- the jury is still out. I may have to "dig deep" for the fun of this one:)

Happy home care,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment